Wednesday 27 November 2013

Rollercoaster days

Things are changing fast here at Alexander Towers (my house is NOT called Alexander Towers but it so should be!). Cancerman will be cancer-free or close to it within the week (is it tasteless to call him Cancerman? I do think of him as a superhero), two people have recognised me *cringe* from a newspaper article in the Daily Mail, and both were really lovely about it, I got notes about book 2 from my editor, which were very helpful and positive, and I've been trying to organise the whole of Solstice/Christmas before the surgery. We've also fitted in a wedding, trips to the hospital and mastering eating out when one of us is gluten-free and one is vegan. We are also going for a cure for his cancer, and have a great team behind us.

Meanwhile I have barely written anything in two months, usually the time it takes to write half a book. It's depressing, and I've realised how much therapy writing is for me. Losing myself in someone else's much more immediate worries (if fictional) and if necessary playing god at the same time, is therapeutic. I always knew that but now I'm finding it works better than I thought. So I'm going to roll my sleeves up and write again, get back into my routine, because I feel like I'm blown about by hospital and kids and Christmas and not by the demands of the books. Not to mention cooking vegan every day - that's an hour extra most days, because the kids aren't vegan and there's a lot to do!

* It's OK to call him Cancerman providing I stop once he has the surgery. He's still going to be a superhero but with better health. I'll try really hard not to point out how much he glows in the dark during radiotherapy. Really hard.

2 comments:

  1. Well done you and keep on keeping on. You are amazing and I hope to hear you tell us the good news when the cancer is given its marching orders. I do hope you get to have a rest at Christmas and recharge your batteries. Hope the writing flows too. Best wishes to you both
    Sue and Col

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, guys! The writing may have dried up but we are working on getting Russ better from the operation and back on his feet. He's no longer Cancer-man, more Colander-man! Looking forward to a quiet and healing month. Hope you have a great December too, and keep the writing going!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.