Monday 8 April 2013

Bad Blogger

I try and blog fairly regularly, when I have something to say hopefully (not always) but I've been absent for a while now. I strained my shoulder doing decorating and sewing giant curtains and couldn't type, sure, but really I just needed a break while pondering book 2 and spending more time with my patient family. Thinking time is essential, and for some reason, I can't think at the computer. So I've been looking at what's wrong/right with the book, planning other projects, running ideas past people and genrally taking a break from the typeface. I recommend it. I'm in a good position with the next two projects, and playing with a long term idea.My shoulder is still painful, so I'm off for more thinking time.

I'm also reading, and can recommend The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. A fantastical love story with a great ending, I really enjoyed it and the writing is artful and lyrical, evoking so many sense impressions. It was too much to read in big chunks, I savoured it over a few weeks, a section at a time.   

Many years ago I wrote a couple of musical theatre pieces with a  home education group. It was fun, it was incredibly hard work and it was a giant collaboration between some very talented and motivated people. Not to mention, the imaginative driving force, which was a group of kids. It was great, and I'm playing with a few ideas to do it again. It helps that I live with a very talented songwriter who loves musicals and is good with kids. My youngest child is loving all the workshops and courses at the local theatre, and can sing, my nephew has a great voice and is enjoying youth theatre...lots of enthusiasm from them. It's nice to be playing with other genres, it all helps with the fiction.

 For me creativity in one field sparks off imagination in others...what do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Most of the creative types I know are polymaths. Dan sings and plays guitar and draws. I love music, and I'm a maker, decorator and artist. Creativity just breeds. My dancer daughter is also an amazing artist and singer, and is hilariously funny, so could probably write wonderful stand-up if she could sit still for long enough to do it.

    You and I are very different, though, aren't we... I can't bear to stay away from the blog for too long, whether I have something to say or not. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you do have something to say! I don't always agree, I'm sometimes surprised, but I'm always interested.

      My blog is sometimes more like a diary of life in general, but sometimes more focused on the writing journey (well, it was in the title!). I love being surrounded by different manifestations of the same creative imagination, and it helps keep the writing fresh!

      Delete
  2. Blog when you feel like it Reb.

    I read The Night Circus a few months back and enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.