Monday 6 August 2012

Rearranging chapters

I'm working on A Baby's Bones and have had to rearrange all the historical bits into proper chapters. I've arranged them behind the contemporary ones, but I'm still struggling to get a strong sense of plot for the historical strand. I'm not sure it stands up at the middle (I am really happy with the end and fairly confident with the beginning). I think I need to unravel the strand and write it as a story, then thread it back, maybe not tidily, one chapter per contemporary chapter, but where it needs it. Back to the drawing board. Me and that drawing board are now old friends, except that I hate going back and possibly wiping out the 8k I've written in the last 6 days. I seem to spend a lot of time faffing about cutting and pasting at the moment.

Meanwhile, the badger watching has progressed, we now have two badgers visiting at ten o'clock promptly (presently known as Small and Medium because the huge one that comes later is bound to get called Mr Big). They are unbothered about us, their sight isn't brilliant and we obviously don't smell like a threat. We spend the money we would spend keeping a dog on our bird and mammal visitors. We have such a rich range of birds visiting, so it was a bit of a shock to find the garden empty this morning. Not a sparrow, not even a baby blue tit. Then I noticed this on the edge of the washing line, moulting and bedraggled in the rain.
One female sparrowhawk, looking for a crunchy snack. It's difficult to know what to put out on the bird table for that one!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent picture of the sparrowhawk, no wonder the other birds were scarce.

    Hop on over to my blog when you have a mo', there's a little award for you there if you fancy it ...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.