Sunday 23 October 2011

At 87,000 words and all downhill from here!

Having written my big dramatic scene, now I need reaction scenes and rounding the story off. While I'm happy with the main strand, I'm having to go back to look at the historical strand and seriously look at editing the first few chapters down. Otherwise the book is going to be too big, and I need to make sure the historical strand stays secondary throughout the book. I really feel like I know my main character much better now, and also know I have to toughen Felix up too. 


I'm enjoying doing the house up again. We're halfway through renovating our old house, and we're finding the character in it. Our new wood-burner is warmer than the inadequate heating in the front room, and the kids now have their own shower in the loft, so we can take out the mould collection that is festering in the room next to our bedroom. My favourite 'rainy afternoon' book is Thornyhold by Mary Stewart, and the star of the book for me is the actual house. This one reminds me enough of it to enjoy the rambly corners and creaky stairs! Yet more decorating coming up, though, but at least my back is up to the job...

2 comments:

  1. You are definitely on a roll! And glad to hear the back is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Downith, it's really exciting, I've never got this far and I do feel the book is coming together finally. Hope things are going well at your end! I'm hoping to do some writing workshops for our local library...we're supporting it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.