Monday 4 April 2011

What's the book about, anyway?

I've had a number of people ask me what the book is about. Answering, so far, has involved twenty minutes, a white board and a list of background reading. Now I have to get my book down to one idea, partly for TMA06 and partly for my dissertation. So I've had a few goes.

'It's a supernatural thriller about the struggle for survival at any cost, set in present day Devon and Eastern Europe of 1576.' Snappy, isn't it? Just rolls off the tongue. Would anyone even want to read more?   OR

'In 1576, occultist John Dee travelled, in secret, to King Istvan, King of Poland, Lithuania and Transylvania, to create a monster that is still killing teenage girls in present day Devon.' Better? I'm not too sure.

'It's a muddle of characters and plot on many, many little white cards with random scenes and very poor grammar. It may one day become a story.' This, at least, has the virtue of being the truth, but I'm a fiction writer, the truth is negotiable.

In the meantime, I'm sat at home in glorious Devon totally distracted by spending time with my lovely girls and surrounded by wildlife. Well, actually, we're inundated by rats again, the chickens will have to move into the ark so they don't get bitten, and the path in front of the house appears to be being undermined. I have four cats that we clearly are overfeeding. Here are two of them working on the rat problem.

Nice going, guys.



4 comments:

  1. This I can honestly relate to!
    'It's a muddle of characters and plot on many, many little white cards with random scenes and very poor grammar. It may one day become a story.'
    I think you are very brave; I'm going for boringly chronological and linear. Chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to do something about that over-feeding! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave out the white cards and you are talking about mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been great coming home and discussing the plot with my daughter, who has helped make sense of it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.