Saturday 28 November 2009

Two approaches to creative writing

I'm struggling but starting to see a way through my confusion at feedback from my two tutors. One likes my work, offers lots of practical tips but is very encouraging along the lines of 'get on and work on your novel'; the other is much more strict. She is much less interested in the story, or even the characters, but she's encouraging me to describe my characters better, worry about every word (do I need that word or this word). Although I got a good score, I felt very deflated by her feedback. She was fussing about spacing and punctuation, even tiny issues like whether two words would be better reversed. But I'm learning loads and working on the process of becoming self-critical and knowing what is good and what is bad. Meanwhile I'm working on writing a Christmas present for other half, and more Chaucer.

So, here's a dilemma - how comfortable is anyone writing sex scenes? Because I have to write one for the book....

2 comments:

  1. I would love my tutor to be that picky. All I get is "great work!". Hardly what I call feedback.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's an article you might find interesting:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8385795.stm

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.